Welcome to Language Development at UAL
If you are studying a full-time course at UAL and English is not your first language, we can offer a wide range of support. We run classes, workshops and one-to-one tutorials and can help you with the academic language and skills you need to be successful on your course and beyond.
There are many ways we can support you throughout your studies. We are a department of highly skilled professionals with experience of teaching English, Art, Design, Fashion and Academic Studies to students of all nationalities and levels. We also work closely with your departments and courses in order to deliver classes relevant to your needs.
Typical areas of help:
- Language and vocabulary of your subject – you will find that your area of study has a language of its own and we can help you become familiar with the key terms.
- Understanding Course Briefs – these can be difficult, but it is essential that you understand them because they determine how you approach your assignments.
- Speaking about your work – you will always have to talk about your work and we can offer guidance and opportunities to practise.
- Presentations and Crits – these are more specific ways of speaking about your work, where you have to demonstrate criticality in discussing, analysing, and evaluating what you have created.
- Academic Writing – whether you like it or not, you have to do it and we can help.
- Reports – these have their own rules and structures and we can provide examples and show you ways of writing them.
- Essays – we can show you appropriate structures, language, grammar, voice and help you know whether you are making sense or saying what you really want to say.
- Project Proposals – getting ready for your final big project. Often you will have to write something explaining why it is relevant and how you plan to do it. There are specific structures for this.
- Dissertations – we can help you throughout this process.
- Reflective Writing – this is an important part of many degree courses and we can show you examples and help you write more reflectively.
- Reading – you will do a lot of required reading, and Language Tutors can help you with understanding some of the key texts.
- Pronunciation – If it’s a problem, we will let you know and help you develop clearer speaking.
- All international and EU students at UAL are entitled to use our services.
- A number of courses will receive course specific Language Development Classes which should be listed on your CELCAT timetables.
- There are also shorter Academic Language Skills Classes and Holiday Intensives which are open to everyone. Sign up early as they can be very popular (see the tab above).
- Language Tutorials take place almost everyday across all UAL sites. Some have to be booked in advance, some you can just drop in (see the tabs above).
- If you want to progress to the next stage of your education and need a higher IELTS score, please see our UAL Progress Test pages. We offer an alternative test which is embedded in the language of Art and Design.
- On-line Language for Academic Studies. This is a valuable resource for independent study and can help you improve your speaking, listening, writing, and reading skills. You should be able to find this course on your Moodle page. Or you can use this link for more information: https://myintranet.arts.ac.uk/staffandstudents/library-learning-and-teaching/language-centre/language-for-academic-studies/
All our information is contained in the tabs above.
We look forward to meeting you all and wish you the best for your studies at UAL.
We are part of the Language Centre which is based on the 4th floor, 272 High Holborn, London. We are a central service aimed at providing language development for students who need or would like additional help in improving their English language skills or adjusting to the academic discourse of their subject discipline in Britain.